Risk Assessments and Annual Reviews
JLG helps firms take proactive steps required to identify and assess areas of risk, and to enhance — and if necessary, create — policies and procedures that address and manage these risks effectively.
We conduct on-site focused risk assessments at the firm's headquarters and at various branch and nonbranch office locations upon request. We will help identify high, medium and low risks so that the business knows where to focus its internal control efforts.
As part of the testing and risk assessment process, our attorneys and team of professionals will customize their reviews to evaluate all those aspects of your business that are subject to regulatory compliance, including:
- Corporate books and records
- Accounting ledgers
- Trading and transaction records
- New account applications/investment policy statements
- Customer complaints and arbitration matters
- Associated persons' and representatives' files
- Advertising and marketing materials
- Written policies and procedures manuals
- Firm registration records
- Client disclosure documents and privacy notices
- Anti-Money Laundering Program, Business Continuity Plan, Regulation S-P controls and other cybersecurity controls
- Client contracts and account files
- Supervisory compliance controls
- New products and services, including controls for supervising business development and transactions
Once the risk assessment has been conducted, JLG provides a findings report that addresses any critical concerns that may require immediate action. We then work closely with clients to develop a compliance calendar that prioritizes action items and includes a timeline for implementing enhanced controls.
For more information or to speak with a securities lawyer — contact our San Diego law office directly at 213-631-2549 or contact us online.
Legal Risk Management Tips
- National Society of Compliance Professionals (NSCP) Currents , 04.2019
- Wolters Kluwer: Practical Compliance & Risk Management For the Securities Industry, 03.2019
- National Society of Compliance Professionals (NSCP) Currents , 03.2019
- National Society of Compliance Professionals (NSCP) Currents , 03.2018
- National Society of Compliance Professionals (NSCP) Currents , 11.2011
- National Society of Compliance Professionals (NSCP) Currents , 05.2006
- Charles Schwab Advisor Services , Spring 2019