In yet another case of fraud targeting senior investors, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has charged William Neil "Doc" Gallagher, a Texas-based man touting himself as "the Money Doctor," in an emergency action to halt a sizeable Ponzi...
The SEC's Division of Enforcement continues its efforts to protect retail investors, gaining reparations for victimized investors in an action against yet another Ponzi scheme. At the end of January, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) announced that the...
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) announced in September a court order that halted what the SEC referred to as "an ongoing Ponzi-like scheme" that fraudulently collected more than $345 million from over 230 investors across the U.S. In...
58-year-old Arthur Lamar Adams pled guilty on May 9, 2018, to one count of wire fraud for his role in defrauding hundreds of investors in a Ponzi scheme involving more than $100 million, spanning a period of at least...
While at times the rigorous regulations imposed upon firms can seem burdensome, they exist for a reason - to help prevent violations of federal securities law. Bad actors, who are a staple of the modern era, are emboldened by the...
- Top 3 Considerations During the Breakaway & Transition Process
- Succession Planning: Identifying a Successor
- California AG Submits Final CCPA Rules for Approval
- ICO To Return $25 Million to Investors
- SEC Charges Morgan Stanley Smith Barney with Providing Misleading Information to Retail Clients
- FINRA’s Senior Help Line: Celebrating 5 Years of Providing Protection
- How To Start: Are You Evaluating Your Firm’s Whistleblower Policies?
- Three Firms’ Failure to Disclose Conflicts of Interest Lead to Almost $1 Million in Disgorgement, Interest
- OCIE Risk Alert—Examinations Focused on Initial Compliance With Regulation Best Interest
- Lone Star Value Management Firm and Founder Pay to Settle SEC Disclosure Charges
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Investment Advisers
- Aging Clients
- Due Diligence
- Transition Services
- Broker Protocol
- Policies and Procedures
- Virtual Currency
- California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
- Dodd-Frank Act
- Advisers Act
- Securities Law
- Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations (OCIE)
- Ponzi Scheme
- Form U5
- Private Equity
- Private Funds
- Regulation Best Interest
- Hedge Funds
- Regulatory Examinations
- Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
- Government Shutdown
- Risk Alert
- Social Media Marketing
- Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs)
- Investment Company Act
- Rule 6c
- Wells Fargo