The Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC") announced it had settled charges against State Street Bank and Trust for overbilling mutual funds and other investment company clients by more than $170 million over a 17-year period.
The North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA) has released its 2018 Enforcement Report (the Report) that says 2017 was the first year on record in which enforcement actions against registered investment advisors (RIAs) has outnumbered enforcements against broker-dealers and...
Intentional and unintentional conflicts of interest are nothing new in the world of finance, but a recent instance of alleged fraud serves to underscore how damaging these cases can ultimately. In this particular case, Mario Hinojosa and his wholly-owned...
Proper disclosure of the costs of investing, including disclosure of all fees and their potential effects on the value of investments, is critical for all firms. However, despite a focus, for years now, on this issue by the SEC, FINRA...
Growing older is something that every single one of us does. It's a simple fact of life that we will all age with time. Those who advise aging clients may be among those that are the most acutely aware...
On the surface, a Form U5 seems straightforward. Direct from FINRA's general instructions, it's the uniform termination notice for securities industry registration. A firm must file a Form U5 anytime one of its registered employees leaves the firm. The...
With 2017 coming to a close, it's time to start looking at what you'll need to prepare in the first quarter for 2018. One of the major priorities for early in the year is Form ADV. If your fiscal...
Early in October, at the National Association of Municipal Advisors Conference, two attorneys with the Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations ("OCIE") told the municipal advisors in attendance that many need to work on improving compliance procedures. To ensure...
Announced October 11th, 2017, FINRA is restructuring its representative level qualification exam program. It will be creating the Securities Industry Essentials ("SIE") exam, while also revising the representative-level qualification exams (i.e. Series 6 & 7). The goal of restructuring...
- Investment Adviser Wearing Multiple Hats Charged by SEC for Defrauding Clients
- Charging Fees for Inactive Accounts can be as Problematic as Churning
- SEC: Prudential Failed to Disclose Conflicts of Interest to Fund Boards
- SEC Charges Investment Bank Junior Analyst with Insider Trading
- SEC Files Charges in Fraudulent Token Manipulation Scheme
- OCIE Risk Alert: Guidance for Compliance, Supervisory and Disclosure Procedures
- Jury Returns Verdict for SEC in Case Against Broker Charged with Fraudulent Excessive Trading
- SEC Charges Investment Advisor with Defrauding Clients by Failure to Disclose Conflicts of Interest
- Charging Clients Fees Not Disclosed in Form ADV: State Street Settles with SEC for $88 Million
- The CFP's Revised Code of Ethics and Standards of Conduct Takes Effect
- Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations (OCIE)
- Investment Advisers
- Form U5
- Ponzi Scheme
- Advisers Act
- Aging Clients
- Regulation Best Interest
- Due Diligence
- Virtual Currency
- Dodd-Frank Act
- Transition Services
- Private Equity
- Private Funds
- Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
- Government Shutdown
- Hedge Funds
- Regulatory Examinations
- Risk Alert
- Securities Law
- Social Media Marketing
- Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs)
- Investment Company Act
- Rule 6c
- Broker Protocol
- Wells Fargo
- Policies and Procedures
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)