Firms that have seen the recently released 2021 Report on the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority’s (FINRA’s) Examination and Risk Monitoring Program (the "Report") should be formulating plans to fortify their compliance programs based on the noteworthy findings shared from recent FINRA exams. The Report provides firms with valuable insight into 18 regulatory topics categorized by Firm Operations, Communications and Sales, Market Integrity, and Financial Management.
On April 30, 2020, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (“FINRA”) celebrated the fifth anniversary of its Senior Help Line (the “Help Line”). The Help Line is a critical tool in FINRA’s initiative to combat financial exploitation of seniors and other vulnerable populations.
The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) is a government-authorized not-for-profit organization that oversees U.S. broker-dealers to ensure that everyone can participate in the market with confidence. Every year, FINRA publishes its areas of focus for the ongoing execution of its mission to protect investors and market integrity.
The Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations (OCIE) released a risk alert outlining findings of examinations it conducted as part of its Supervision Initiative...
On January 22, 2019, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) released its Annual Risk Monitoring and Examinations Priorities Letter, which outlined its focus areas for broker-dealer examinations in 2019. While many of these areas are carried over from the...
If you run afoul of FINRA rules and regulations, FINRA has the authority to fine, suspend or bar brokers and firms from the industry. Depending on the violation, when it was discovered, and by whom, you may be faced with...
When the SEC released its list of exam priorities for 2018, no one was surprised to learn that one of last year's themes concerning the protection of retail investors (and by extension, aging investors) continues into 2018. To quote the...
FINRA expungement has been, and continues to be, a topic of intense discussion. We've discussed expungement in regard to customer complaints, as well as intra-industry issues, in just the past year. This continuation on the theme concerns a FINRA...
On the surface, a Form U5 seems straightforward. Direct from FINRA's general instructions, it's the uniform termination notice for securities industry registration. A firm must file a Form U5 anytime one of its registered employees leaves the firm. The...
- The Advantages of Outsourcing Your General Corporate Counsel
- The Many Recent Signals that Foreshadow a More Aggressive SEC in Terms of Enforcement Action and Stiffer Penalties for Wrongdoers
- New SEC Climate Change and ESG Task Force to Enhance Investor Protection by Red Flagging Examples of Corporate Greenwashing
- What Investment Advisers Must do to Qualify for the DOL’s Prohibited Transaction Exemption for IRA Rollovers
- SEC Division of Examinations Cites Enhanced Focus on Business Continuity Processes, Protection of Retail Investors and ESG-Related Risks Among its 2021 Priorities
- FINRA Report Suggests Growing Need for Enhanced Risk Management in Cybersecurity and Outside Business Activities
- Deadline Approaching: Considerations for Your Form ADV
- Leveraging JLG's Latest Service: Real Estate
- Safeguarding Your Firm Against Fraudulent or Improper Recognition of Revenue
- New Advisers Act Advertising Rule to Undergo Further Review
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Investment Advisers
- Regulatory Examinations
- Policies and Procedures
- Due Diligence
- Social Media Marketing
- Transition Services
- California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
- Aging Clients
- Advisers Act
- Virtual Currency
- Dodd-Frank Act
- Ponzi Scheme
- Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations (OCIE)
- Broker Protocol
- Securities Law
- Form U5
- Private Equity
- Private Funds
- Hedge Funds
- Regulation Best Interest
- Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
- Government Shutdown
- Risk Alert
- Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs)
- Investment Company Act
- Rule 6c
- Wells Fargo