The Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) filed charges against Reginald “Reggie” Middleton and two entities he owns for allegedly committing a fraudulent digital token sale scheme.
With the passing of every month, the investment industry sees another round of enforcements involving the mishandling of initial coin offerings ("ICOs"). The still nascent landscape of cryptocurrency investing continues to pose significant difficulties for investors, firms, and regulatory...
The developing market of virtual currencies and online trading continues to present difficulties for the financial investment industry. In late April 2019, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) released an investor alert that advised extreme caution surrounding digital asset...
Trouble regarding initial coin offerings (ICOs) and cryptocurrencies continues to occupy a significant place in our industry's spotlight. In late February, the Securities and Exchange Commission's enforcement branch charged Gladius Network LLC with conducting an unregistered initial coin offering...
The principle of full disclosure in the marketing of virtual currencies is a recent focus of regulatory bodies as they slowly confirm that these cryptocurrencies are securities or investment products. In a Press Release dated Nov. 29, 2018, the...
Digital and virtual currencies continue to be a growing trend in the financial industry. Investors are demonstrating increased interest and trading activity, and, more and more financial advisers are considering inclusion of cryptocurrencies in investment portfolios. Existing as digital...
- SEC Grants Regulatory Relief for Firms Affected by COVID-19
- SEC Examination Focus: Four Considerations for Vendor Relationships Within Your Business Continuity Plans (BCP)
- Old, Familiar Fraud Found in New, Innovative Investments
- An Important Lesson About Marketing Materials and Risk
- Getting Ahead of the Curve: FINRA’s Areas of Focus for 2020
- Internal Control Failures Cost MetLife $10 million in SEC Settlement
- Another Technology Company Settles SEC Charges Over ICO Violations
- SEC Proposes Updated Definition of Accredited Investor, Qualified Institutional Buyer
- How to Avoid Legal Problems and Foster a Culture of Regulatory Compliance
- Inside the SEC’s Proposed New Rules for Financial Advisor Advertising
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Investment Advisers
- Due Diligence
- Advisers Act
- Policies and Procedures
- Securities Law
- Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations (OCIE)
- Ponzi Scheme
- Aging Clients
- Form U5
- California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
- Virtual Currency
- Dodd-Frank Act
- Regulation Best Interest
- Private Equity
- Private Funds
- Transition Services
- Hedge Funds
- Regulatory Examinations
- Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
- Government Shutdown
- Risk Alert
- Social Media Marketing
- Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs)
- Investment Company Act
- Rule 6c
- Broker Protocol
- Wells Fargo