The Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) filed charges against Reginald “Reggie” Middleton and two entities he owns for allegedly committing a fraudulent digital token sale scheme.
With the passing of every month, the investment industry sees another round of enforcements involving the mishandling of initial coin offerings ("ICOs"). The still nascent landscape of cryptocurrency investing continues to pose significant difficulties for investors, firms, and regulatory...
The developing market of virtual currencies and online trading continues to present difficulties for the financial investment industry. In late April 2019, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) released an investor alert that advised extreme caution surrounding digital asset...
Trouble regarding initial coin offerings (ICOs) and cryptocurrencies continues to occupy a significant place in our industry's spotlight. In late February, the Securities and Exchange Commission's enforcement branch charged Gladius Network LLC with conducting an unregistered initial coin offering...
The principle of full disclosure in the marketing of virtual currencies is a recent focus of regulatory bodies as they slowly confirm that these cryptocurrencies are securities or investment products. In a Press Release dated Nov. 29, 2018, the...
Digital and virtual currencies continue to be a growing trend in the financial industry. Investors are demonstrating increased interest and trading activity, and, more and more financial advisers are considering inclusion of cryptocurrencies in investment portfolios. Existing as digital...
- Inside the SEC’s Proposed New Rules for Financial Advisor Advertising
- A Costly Failure to Follow Written Policies and Procedures
- California Governor Signs CCPA Amendments, Privacy Related Bills into Law
- SEC Proposes Exemptions to Application Procedures
- SEC Requests Proposals to Innovate Markets for Thinly Traded Securities
- PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP pays $7.9 to Settle SEC Improper Professional Conduct, Auditor Independence Charges
- HCR Advisors Settles SEC Charges on Failure to Supervise and Implement Compliance-Related Policies and Procedures
- Amadeus Wealth Advisors, Three Bridge Wealth Advisors Settle SEC Unlawful Proxy Charges
- Charging Fees for Inactive Accounts can be as Problematic as Churning
- SEC: Prudential Failed to Disclose Conflicts of Interest to Fund Boards
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Advisers Act
- Investment Advisers
- Policies and Procedures
- Securities Law
- California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
- Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations (OCIE)
- Ponzi Scheme
- Aging Clients
- Form U5
- Due Diligence
- Virtual Currency
- Dodd-Frank Act
- Regulation Best Interest
- Private Equity
- Private Funds
- Transition Services
- Hedge Funds
- Regulatory Examinations
- Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
- Government Shutdown
- Risk Alert
- Social Media Marketing
- Broker Protocol
- Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs)
- Investment Company Act
- Rule 6c
- Wells Fargo