- Posts by Robert D. Conca, Esq.Partner
Robert Conca has over 19 years of experience advising businesses and financial professionals. He has acted both in legal counsel and senior executive capacities for companies spanning all stages of development. From start-ups to ...
On November 22, 2019, the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC") ordered Channing Capital Management, LLC ("Channing"), a registered investment adviser located in Illinois, to pay a $50,000 civil penalty for failure to enforce its own written policies and procedures. This specific case underscores the importance of following the safeguards you put in place to protect all clients at all times.
The Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) is considering implementation of regulatory changes in order to improve secondary market structures for thinly traded securities. It has announced a request for exchanges, issuers, investors, or other market participants to submit proposals that will facilitate market structure innovations that would meaningfully enhance trading.
The Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) has spent time and energy focused on proxy voting matters in the recent months. In August 2019, the SEC provided guidance (discussed below) to assist investment advisers fulfilling their proxy voting responsibilities. It also appears to have increased its attention toward regulatory actions involving proxy voting on behalf of clients.
The Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC") has charged two Prudential subsidiaries with a failure to monitor and report conflicts of interest that proved costly to fund shareholders.
The Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) filed charges against Reginald “Reggie” Middleton and two entities he owns for allegedly committing a fraudulent digital token sale scheme.
The Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC") announced it had settled charges against State Street Bank and Trust for overbilling mutual funds and other investment company clients by more than $170 million over a 17-year period.
With the passing of every month, the investment industry sees another round of enforcements involving the mishandling of initial coin offerings ("ICOs"). The still nascent landscape of cryptocurrency investing continues to pose significant difficulties for investors, firms, and regulatory...
The developing market of virtual currencies and online trading continues to present difficulties for the financial investment industry. In late April 2019, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) released an investor alert that advised extreme caution surrounding digital asset...
By: Robert D. Conca, Esq., Partner Throughout any financial professional's career transitions are inevitable and an integral part of the transition is the filing of a Form U5. For those who are unaware, Form U5 is a formal documentation...
In a March 26, 2019 press release, the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC") announced awards to two whistleblowers under the Dodd-Frank Act, one receiving $37 million and the other $13 million, whose critical information led to a successful enforcement action...
- Inside the SEC’s Proposed New Rules for Financial Advisor Advertising
- A Costly Failure to Follow Written Policies and Procedures
- California Governor Signs CCPA Amendments, Privacy Related Bills into Law
- SEC Proposes Exemptions to Application Procedures
- SEC Requests Proposals to Innovate Markets for Thinly Traded Securities
- PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP pays $7.9 to Settle SEC Improper Professional Conduct, Auditor Independence Charges
- HCR Advisors Settles SEC Charges on Failure to Supervise and Implement Compliance-Related Policies and Procedures
- Amadeus Wealth Advisors, Three Bridge Wealth Advisors Settle SEC Unlawful Proxy Charges
- Charging Fees for Inactive Accounts can be as Problematic as Churning
- SEC: Prudential Failed to Disclose Conflicts of Interest to Fund Boards
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Advisers Act
- Investment Advisers
- Policies and Procedures
- Securities Law
- California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
- Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations (OCIE)
- Ponzi Scheme
- Aging Clients
- Form U5
- Due Diligence
- Virtual Currency
- Dodd-Frank Act
- Regulation Best Interest
- Private Equity
- Private Funds
- Transition Services
- Hedge Funds
- Regulatory Examinations
- Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
- Government Shutdown
- Risk Alert
- Social Media Marketing
- Broker Protocol
- Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs)
- Investment Company Act
- Rule 6c
- Wells Fargo