- Posts by Michelle L. Jacko, Esq.Managing Partner and CEO
Michelle L. Jacko, Esq. is the Managing Partner and CEO of Jacko Law Group, PC, which offers corporate and securities legal services to broker-dealers, investment advisers, investment companies, hedge/private funds and ...
In a noteworthy action resulting from a lack of action in monitoring client accounts, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC") fined three Raymond James entities $15 million for failing to conduct promised suitability reviews for certain advisory accounts invested in unit investment trusts ("UITs").
The Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) charged 23-year-old junior analyst Bill Tsai at an international investment bank with insider trading.
The outcome of a recent jury trial in Manhattan has underscored the importance of the Securities and Exchange Commission's new Regulation Best Interest and the Commission's ongoing commitment to enforcing the standard of investment suitability for retail clients.
In a speech given in late April, Peter Driscoll, Director of the Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations (OCIE), discussed the importance of cooperation among compliance officers, senior management, and the OCIE to promote compliance and more effectively protect...
In yet another case of fraud targeting senior investors, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has charged William Neil "Doc" Gallagher, a Texas-based man touting himself as "the Money Doctor," in an emergency action to halt a sizeable Ponzi...
Trouble regarding initial coin offerings (ICOs) and cryptocurrencies continues to occupy a significant place in our industry's spotlight. In late February, the Securities and Exchange Commission's enforcement branch charged Gladius Network LLC with conducting an unregistered initial coin offering...
On January 22, 2019, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) released its Annual Risk Monitoring and Examinations Priorities Letter, which outlined its focus areas for broker-dealer examinations in 2019. While many of these areas are carried over from the...
Information technology continues to provide amazing benefits to our industry, but it also brings with it a number of risks when it comes to compliance. Changes in the way mobile and personally owned devices are being utilized for business...
The complex nature of investments leaves many retail investors needing assistance from investment professionals to help navigate the endless possible investment opportunities available to them. To satisfy investor needs, many investment professionals associate with broker-dealers, investment advisers, insurance agencies...
An October 18, 2018, press release has outlined the SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) report on increased efforts to protect elderly investors against fraud, identity theft, and other crimes commonly perpetrated against this vulnerable population. Due to the industry's...
- Investment Adviser Wearing Multiple Hats Charged by SEC for Defrauding Clients
- Charging Fees for Inactive Accounts can be as Problematic as Churning
- SEC: Prudential Failed to Disclose Conflicts of Interest to Fund Boards
- SEC Charges Investment Bank Junior Analyst with Insider Trading
- SEC Files Charges in Fraudulent Token Manipulation Scheme
- OCIE Risk Alert: Guidance for Compliance, Supervisory and Disclosure Procedures
- Jury Returns Verdict for SEC in Case Against Broker Charged with Fraudulent Excessive Trading
- SEC Charges Investment Advisor with Defrauding Clients by Failure to Disclose Conflicts of Interest
- Charging Clients Fees Not Disclosed in Form ADV: State Street Settles with SEC for $88 Million
- The CFP's Revised Code of Ethics and Standards of Conduct Takes Effect
- Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations (OCIE)
- Investment Advisers
- Form U5
- Ponzi Scheme
- Advisers Act
- Aging Clients
- Regulation Best Interest
- Due Diligence
- Virtual Currency
- Dodd-Frank Act
- Transition Services
- Private Equity
- Private Funds
- Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
- Government Shutdown
- Hedge Funds
- Regulatory Examinations
- Risk Alert
- Securities Law
- Social Media Marketing
- Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs)
- Investment Company Act
- Rule 6c
- Broker Protocol
- Wells Fargo
- Policies and Procedures
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)