As part of FINRA's ongoing efforts to crackdown on cybersecurity failures, the brokerage industry's self-regulatory organization issued $14.4 million in fines to a dozen firms - including companies in the Wells Fargo & Co. and RBC Capital networks, RBS Securities Inc.,...
In an ideal world, companies would be able to trust their employees one-hundred percent. However, there are those who take advantage of their position within an organization to perform illegal activities. Unfortunately, that was the case with Expedia’s Jonathan...
Last week, Alberto Chang-Rajii and his asset management company, Onix Capital LLC, were charged with fraud by the SEC. Using false claims of Chang’s wealth and investment success as an award-winning multi-millionaire “angel” investor, Chang and Onix apparently defrauded...
On October 24, 2016, citing a recent increase in SEC enforcement actions pertaining to Rule 21F-17 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (“Exchange Act”), the SEC issued a National Exam Program Risk Alert regarding examinations of investment advisers’...
Earlier this month, Health Net Inc. agreed to pay a $340,000 penalty for illegally using severance agreements that required employees leaving the company to waive their right to obtain monetary awards from the SEC’s whistleblower program. According to the...
Earlier this week, four private fund advisers affiliated with Apollo Global Management agreed to a $52.7 million settlement. During an investigation by the SEC, the advisers were found to have misled fund investors about fees and a loan agreement,...
Brad Bennett, FINRA’s Executive Vice President and Chief of Enforcement, said, “A key element of retail investor protection is the aggressive pursuit of brokers who churn and excessively trade customer accounts. FINRA has no tolerance for brokers who place...
Earlier this week, the SEC won a court-ordered asset freeze of two former brokers, James Brennan III and Douglas Dyer, and their company Broad Street Ventures. The former brokers, both of whom have disciplinary histories with FINRA and state...
Although many believe in upholding the old adage to respect one's elders, there are others who seek to take advantage of older Americans, targeting them for investment fraud. Unfortunately, many senior citizens fall victim to these scams if not...
Occasionally, in the event a case requires litigation, legal counsel may request the assistance of one or more expert witnesses. As specialists in their field, these experts can provide advanced knowledge, skill, experience, training and/or education that can assist...
- The Advantages of Outsourcing Your General Corporate Counsel
- The Many Recent Signals that Foreshadow a More Aggressive SEC in Terms of Enforcement Action and Stiffer Penalties for Wrongdoers
- New SEC Climate Change and ESG Task Force to Enhance Investor Protection by Red Flagging Examples of Corporate Greenwashing
- What Investment Advisers Must do to Qualify for the DOL’s Prohibited Transaction Exemption for IRA Rollovers
- SEC Division of Examinations Cites Enhanced Focus on Business Continuity Processes, Protection of Retail Investors and ESG-Related Risks Among its 2021 Priorities
- FINRA Report Suggests Growing Need for Enhanced Risk Management in Cybersecurity and Outside Business Activities
- Deadline Approaching: Considerations for Your Form ADV
- Leveraging JLG's Latest Service: Real Estate
- Safeguarding Your Firm Against Fraudulent or Improper Recognition of Revenue
- New Advisers Act Advertising Rule to Undergo Further Review
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Investment Advisers
- Regulatory Examinations
- Policies and Procedures
- Due Diligence
- Social Media Marketing
- Transition Services
- California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
- Aging Clients
- Advisers Act
- Virtual Currency
- Dodd-Frank Act
- Ponzi Scheme
- Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations (OCIE)
- Broker Protocol
- Securities Law
- Form U5
- Private Equity
- Private Funds
- Hedge Funds
- Regulation Best Interest
- Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
- Government Shutdown
- Risk Alert
- Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs)
- Investment Company Act
- Rule 6c
- Wells Fargo