As part of its "Fiscal Year 2013 Agency Financial Report" released by the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC") on December 17, 2013, the SEC discussed how the agency's new and "more aggressive enforcement actions" fared in 2013. According to the...
The Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) recently ordered a cease-and-desist against hedge fund adviser Agamas Capital Management, LP (“Agamas”). The SEC alleged, among other things, that Agamas failed to adopt and implement written compliance policies and procedures as required by...
On November 22, 2013, the Commissioner of Business Oversight (“Commissioner”) and the California Department of Business Oversight (“DBO”) issued an order affecting all broker dealers and investment advisers (and any other businesses engaged in financial transactions) which are licensed to...
As the year comes to a close, it is essential for firms to consider end-of-the-year training programs, both now and throughout 2014. The Securities Industry/Regulatory Council on Continuing Education (the "Council") recently published their Firm Element Advisory ("FEA") release...
As a continuation of last week’s entry, this blog focuses on other considerations for general solicitation under Rule 506(d) of Regulation D, including the condition that the issuer takes reasonable care to verify that each person involved in the...
This September, the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) modified Regulation D and created new Rule 506(c), allowing general solicitation and advertising by issuers of private funds pursuant to certain conditions. These conditions require, among other things, that issuers relying on...
Last month, the Securities and Exchange Commission’s (“SEC”) Chairwoman Mary Jo White caused a stir within the advisory industry when she issued a speech stating that the SEC will begin zeroing in on “minor infractions” of investment advisers. This past...
In 2012, states expanded their oversight of registered investment advisers (“RIAs”) from those with $25 million in assets, to those with $100 million or less. Prior to 2012, the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) had been responsible for overseeing these...
In April 2013, the SEC and the CFTC jointly issued their final rules and guidelines for entities regulated by each of the respective agencies under Regulation S-ID - Identity Theft Red Flags Rules (the "Rule" or "Regulation S-ID"). The new...
In April 2010, the State of Maryland became the first U.S. state to pass “Benefit Corporation” legislation, thus permitting the formation of a new type of corporate entity structure in that state. Since that time, several other states – including...
- The Advantages of Outsourcing Your General Corporate Counsel
- The Many Recent Signals that Foreshadow a More Aggressive SEC in Terms of Enforcement Action and Stiffer Penalties for Wrongdoers
- New SEC Climate Change and ESG Task Force to Enhance Investor Protection by Red Flagging Examples of Corporate Greenwashing
- What Investment Advisers Must do to Qualify for the DOL’s Prohibited Transaction Exemption for IRA Rollovers
- SEC Division of Examinations Cites Enhanced Focus on Business Continuity Processes, Protection of Retail Investors and ESG-Related Risks Among its 2021 Priorities
- FINRA Report Suggests Growing Need for Enhanced Risk Management in Cybersecurity and Outside Business Activities
- Deadline Approaching: Considerations for Your Form ADV
- Leveraging JLG's Latest Service: Real Estate
- Safeguarding Your Firm Against Fraudulent or Improper Recognition of Revenue
- New Advisers Act Advertising Rule to Undergo Further Review
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Investment Advisers
- Regulatory Examinations
- Policies and Procedures
- Due Diligence
- Social Media Marketing
- Transition Services
- California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
- Aging Clients
- Advisers Act
- Virtual Currency
- Dodd-Frank Act
- Ponzi Scheme
- Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations (OCIE)
- Broker Protocol
- Securities Law
- Form U5
- Private Equity
- Private Funds
- Hedge Funds
- Regulation Best Interest
- Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
- Government Shutdown
- Risk Alert
- Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs)
- Investment Company Act
- Rule 6c
- Wells Fargo